The principal motto of Rotary is: “Service Above Self”
The secondary motto is: “He Profits Most Who Serves Best”
In 1923, Rotary adopted as its official symbol the present gear wheel with 24 cogs and six spokes. An Aggie engineer recognized it would not work if it did not have a “keyway” so later in 1923, the keyway was added to the official Rotary emblem. The emblem is made into a lapel pin presented to new members of Rotary, and Rotarians are encouraged to wear the pin in their daily business activities.
The Rotary flag consists of a white field with the official wheel emblem emblazoned in gold and blue in the center of the field.
In 1922, Admiral Richard Byrd, a member of the Rotary Club of Winchester, Virginia carried a small Rotary flag to the South Pole and four years latter carried it to the North Pole.
Most clubs have a club banner which is the Rotary flag with the words “Rotary Club” above the wheel emblem and the name of the city and state below the emblem.
A Rotary club is an organization of business and professional leaders in a well defined community. Each club is chartered by Rotary International with an assigned territorial boundary. The Purposes of the club are fellowship and service.
The club is governed by a president, vice-president president elect and Secretary/Treasurer as the officers and a Board of Directors. Our club has eight directors with four directors elected each year for a two year term.
Club members are to be adult persons of good character and good reputation who are proprietors, partners, corporate officer or managers of a business or profession or who hold important positions with an executive capacity. They must belong to a club in the community where their place of business is or where they reside.
All clubs are subject to the rules and regulations as laid down by Rotary International and District Rules. Clubs are required to adopt and abide by the Rotary International Standard Club Constitution. Each club has some voice in establishing its own By-Laws, but they must conform to the Rotary International Standard Club By-Laws.
The Rotary Club of Tyler was chartered in May 1920 and was the fifth club chartered in northeast Texas. It was one of only 530 clubs in Rotary and was chartered two years before Rotary changed its name from The National Association of Rotary Clubs to Rotary International. The club’s web site is www.tylerrotary.org.